How To Choose The Right University

More than 400 state-accredited universities can be found in many different locations throughout the Federal Republic of Germany. Together, these universities offer almost 20,000 degree courses. In the 2018/19 semester there were a total of 426 higher education institutions in Germany, including 106 universities, 246 universities of applied sciences, 52 colleges of art and 16 theological universities.

The standard period of study is usually three years (six semesters, with 180 ECTS points) for bachelor’s degrees and two years (four semesters, 120 ECTS) for master’s degrees.

Rankings Are Completely Useless.

German students don’t worry too much about university reputation

Go to any university in Germany, you will not regret it. The MOST important thing is to throughly look at the courses being offered by the university. Go for the university thats offers you the most relevant courses as per your interests.

All German Universities Are Equal. Small Ones Are as Good As the Big Ones.

All universities in Germany that differ in quality between one and another are relatively inconspicuous. So, forget about the discussion about which Univ is good for your department. The most important thing is to enter the Uninya Website and see what the curriculum is according to what you want? That is far more important to be considered.

University Type 1

Creator of quality designs and thinker of fresh ideas.

Universities mainly impart theoretical knowledge. The course is very academically oriented and there are many different subject groups. But many universities specialise in a specific subject area. These are called technical universities (Technische Universität, TU) or colleges of education (Pädagogische Hochschule, PH). At a university, you can also study for a doctorate (doctoral degree). This is not possible in most Universities of Applied Sciences.

Universities mainly impart theoretical knowledge and usually offer a wide range of different subjects. But some specialise in a particular subject area and in this case they are called technical universities (Technische Universität, TU) or colleges of education (Pädagogische Hochschule, PH). Art and music colleges are suitable for those who have a special musical or artistic talent.

University Type 2

University of Applied Science (Fachhochschulen)

At Fachhochschulen and Hochschulen für angewandte Wissenschaften (Universities of Applied Sciences) the emphasis is more on practical training in a subject. You will complete work placements, longer project phases or spend entire practical semesters working in companies. Dual universities combine academic studies and vocational training.

Fachhochschulen have a more practical profile with a focus on employability. In research, they are rather geared to applied research instead of fundamental research. At a traditional university, it is important to study “why” a method is scientifically right; however, this is less important at Universities of Applied Sciences.

Here the emphasis is placed on what systems and methods exist, where they come from, what their advantages and disadvantages are, how to use them in practice, when they should be used, and when not.

The FH Diploma is roughly equivalent to a 4-year Honours degree. An FH Diploma qualifies the holder for a doctoral program directly but in practice many universities require an additional entrance exam or participation in theoretical classes from FH candidates.

University Type 3

Colleges of Art, Film and Music

In art, film and music colleges you can study artistic subjects, such as music, architecture, visual arts, drama, dance, industrial and fashion design. At universities for modern media, directors, cinematographers, screenwriters and other film and television professionals are trained. Admission requirements for these courses include a specific talent which you must demonstrate at an entrance examination.

Colleges of art and music train young artists such as musicians, architects, fine artists and designers. Admission requirements include a specific talent which applicants must demonstrate in an entrance examination.

University Type 4: Dual Univerisites

Alongside a classic University of Applied Sciences course, a cooperative study programme gives you the opportunity to link your academic training more closely to your entry into professional life. If you like “learning by doing”, are highly motivated, have a good knowledge of German and want to progress quickly into employment, the dual university is the right place for you. Universities of applied sciences and universities of cooperative education, as well as individual universities, offer these types of degree course.

If you choose a cooperative studies course, you will also have to sign a contract with a company. The training then usually takes place at two separate locations: on the company’s premises and at the higher education institution. In most cases, the work phases and tuition fees are paid.

Variant No. 1: Training-Integrated

The degree programme is combined with training in a recognised occupation requiring formal training.

Variant No.2: Practice-Integrated

Study phases alternate with practical phases in a company. You will obtain a degree at the end, but not a professional qualification.

Variant no.3: Career-Integrated

Academic studies are combined with ongoing professional training. You work full time and learn largely through self-study, similar to a distance learning course. The application will in most cases be limited to the company you are interested in. Ideally, you will specifically seek out companies offering your chosen course of study. In the AusbildungPlus database, you can obtain information about more than 50,000 dual training opportunities in companies.


France has more than 3,500 institutions of higher education, including the following:

77 publicly-funded universities, offering degrees in all disciplines and serving as the primary academic research centers

A parallel system of Grandes Ecoles offering scientific, business, art and other specific programs, which offer 5-year diplomas which are equivalent to a Masters degree
Schools of architecture

More than 3,000 specialized schools offering degrees in a wide variety of subjects, including hotel management, culinary arts, tourism and social work.


Training Opportunities, Catalog
In France, there are more than 3,500 public and private institutes of higher education. Universities, Grandes Ecoles and schools of art or architecture: there is a wide choice for foreign students who want to study in France.


20% of foreign students are enrolled in a programme in the Grandes Ecoles. Écoles Normales Supérieures (ENS -Institutes of Advanced Education), Instituts d’Etudes Politiques (IEP – Political Science Institutes), engineering schools, business and management schools, veterinary schools and a few others, these Grandes Ecoles are public and private institutes of higher education recognised by the State. They confer degrees for 5 years of undergraduate studies, and some award the title of Master. Much of the training is provided in English.

Nearly 3,000 public and private institutes of higher education offer courses in specific sectors such as medicine, audio-visual, communication, journalism, fashion and design, agronomy, political science, etc.

These institutes confer degrees and certificates that may or may not be recognised by the State. Admission to these specialised schools and institutes is based on a competitive entry exam or the applicant’s file. Studies there generally last two to five years.

In France, there are nearly 50 public schools of art and design directly overseen by the Ministry of Culture. Training in art, design and communication is provided in two steps of three or five years, with national degrees awarded on successful completion. Some also offer a third level of studies.

Four highly-reputable public schools of art are directly overseen by the Ministry of Higher Education: Boulle, Olivier de Serres, Duperré and Estienne. They confer national degrees in graphic design, spatial design, fashion and arts and crafts.

Some private schools or schools that depend from chambers of commerce and industry award their own degrees. Some are registered in the Répertoire National des Certifications Professionnelles (RNCP – National Repertoire of Professional Certifications). These institutes of higher education in art and applied arts are very selective, and enrolment is through analysis of the applicant’s file, by competitive entry exam and / or interview. Applications may be filed online on the site Campus Art.

The Ecoles Nationales Supérieures d’Architecture (ENSA – the national schools of architecture) form a network of 20 public schools overseen by both the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Higher education, Research and Innovation. Two other institutes, the École Spéciale d’Architecture (Special School of Architecture) and the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (National Institute of Applied Science) in Strasbourg, are part of the same network and confer equivalent degrees.


There are more than 3,500 public and private institutes of higher education in France: 72 universities, 25 multi-institute campuses, 271 Doctoral schools, 227 engineering schools authorised to award the title of engineer, 220 business and management schools, 45 post-secondary public schools of art, 22 schools of architecture and 3,000 private schools and institutes.

Some of France’s 3,000 high-schools provide courses in preparation for entry to the Grandes Ecoles, the classes préparatoires (CPGE), others have two-year technical programmes, called sections de techniciens supérieurs (STS), or classes in preparation for the national Brevet de technicien supérieur (BTS).

In France, the academic year begins in September or October, depending on the institution and programme. It is punctuated by holidays, including two weeks at year-end. At the end of the first semester, classes are briefly interrupted for exams. The summer holidays start in May or June at the end of the second semester exams. In general, these holidays last at least two months.

Studying in France sounds like education and fun rolled into one. The tourist destination also happens to be a study destination!

If you are non-EU, you are eligible for the national health insurance offered in France. You must register on the website to benefit from French social security health spending repayments.

The academic year begins in September or October and ends in May or June, depending on the program and institution. There are two semesters, divided by a break following final examinations at the end of the first semester.

The academic year is usually deducted by holidays, usually 2 weeks at the end of the year (Christmas and New Year). Two semesters are separated by one short period, after evaluation and assessment tests are conducted in the first semester. And summer holidays last more than 2 months, including July and August